Thursday, January 1, 2015

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2014 Recap

Happy 2015!!! Hope everyone had a wonderful time ushering in the new year.  I thought I'd start out covering some of my favorite and most memorable meals/dishes of 2014.  No sort of order, because I'm just not that organized....(New Year's Resolution???)

1. Chirashi -- I'm just going to group all the amazing chirashi I've eaten this year in one category, since it would take a whole separate blog post to go into depth.  I'll just call chirashi my life dish, but I really had some good ones this year.  Some of my favorites were those at Circle Sushi, Sushi House Hayakawa, Taka, and Kintaro (in DC).


2. Kang Nam's Hwe Dup Bap -- I've always loved this Korean mix of sashimi bits, salad, rice, and red pepper paste sauce, but I found possibly my favorite deal at Kang Nam off Buford Hwy.  If you go before 6PM, it's under their "lunch specials".  The dish it comes in is big enough to fit a pretty large baby, and it comes with a really good spicy fish soup.

  

3. Sukiyaki in Japan -- I had so many delicious meals in Japan and Taiwan on my 2014 Asia trip, but the one that continues to stand out to me is the sukiyaki we had at a marine amusement park.  Like, what?  I never had that style of hot pot before; basically the broth is super condensed in flavor so that you don't drink it and you don't need additional sauce for the meat and veggies.  But, you do dip it in fresh egg and eat it with rice.  It was. SO. good. 


4.  BuccoLupo's Squid Ink Pasta -- I'd had a delicious squid ink pasta in San Francisco that was served with clams and pork belly and garlic, and had been thinking about it for so long afterwards.  THEN, I saw an instagram friend posting pictures of a squid ink pasta from BoccaLupo, and I knew I had to go.  My sister and I went, and it didn't disappoint.  No pictures, since it was super dark inside (and super full of couples....)

5. Ah-Ma's Beef Noodle Soup -- The first time I tried this, I was so happy.  A true taste of Taiwan and one of my favorite dishes!  The noodles are so chewy, and the perfect thickness for me.  The broth is super flavorful.  Not every Taiwanese I know loves this place (my mom...), but I do. 


6. Jang Su Jang's Ke Jang -- I'm not going to say this was one of my favorite dishes; I like it, but it is a little salty and requires a LOT of rice.  It falls under one of my most memorable, though, because I don't know that I've eaten raw crab before, and my favorite K-drama "Let's Eat" drove me to try it.


7. Paris Baguette Cronut + Almond Velvet Tea -- This was the year of Paris Baguette for me.  While I've calmed down a bit on eating cronuts at every available opportunity, it was the piece of deliciousness and sugar coma that introduced me to my now favorite bakery.


8. Makan's Black Sesame Gelato -- Do you like black sesame? Because I DO and this stuff is like crack in gelato form.  YUM.  

9. Miso Izakaya's Ramen Burger -- My sister and I were fortunate enough to score a place at Miso Izakaya's first brunch service (not too sure if they decided to continue doing it), and I was finally able to try a ramen burger! Really tasty.  I think I like burgers much better when the buns are made of noodles or rice (Mos Burger, I'm looking at you.)


10. Kung Fu Tea -- though my love for So Kang Dong Tofu House has diminished a little, I find myself still in that little crowded parking lot just as much due to the opening of Kung Fu Tea.  Another taste of Taiwan!  Love the yogurt green tea.  

11. Deep Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich at the Texas State Fair -- no description needed.  I'm going back.  NEED to go back.  



There it is.  My 2014 List.  Here's to more eats and fun and deliciousness in 2015!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment