Friday, April 17, 2015

Krog Street Market and Other Tidbits

Yes, I am the worst at consistently blogging.  Perhaps, because I am consistently eating? Maybe.

Anyway! My new obsession is Krog Street Market.  Mostly because it has one of my favorite newer restaurants, Craft Izakaya, but the rest of it isn't too shabby, either.  Many of you are aware that Gu's Bistro, Atlanta's favorite Szechuan joint has closed its' Buford Highway doors...But! They opened a stand called Gu's Dumplings at the new market.  And, I've always really enjoyed the ice cream from Jeni's!

Let's start with Gu's Dumplings.  I tried the Zhong-style dumplings, Dan Dan noodles, and crispy beef.  The dumplings and noodles are still as good as ever (crack sauce, I'm sure of it), and yum-and-yes-please-more to the crispy beef, which I'd never tried at the original restaurant.  I am hoping the new location for the full restaurant opens soon, since the stand, naturally, has a limited menu, and some of my favorite dishes -- that spicy boiled fish!!! -- are missing.  I'd say the dishes are smaller and more expensive, but with the change in location, it's to be expected.  I'll be back!



Ohhhhkayyyy, and now, let me attempt to not drool all over my laptop just thinking about Craft Izakaya.  This. place. is. awesome. I chose it for my birthday dinner this year, and it did not disappoint.  I will say, they've spoiled me for uni.  It tastes so fresh and clean and....uni-licious (is there a better adjective for it?  I think not).  Chef Jey Oh does some pretty neat things -- so you know your girl loves salmon...I remember pretty vividly this dish we ordered that had raw salmon and fish eggs over rice, with warm tomato.  And I don't what what sorcery they are using, but this kicked my taste buds into overdrive.  The first time I went, we ordered a sashimi plate that included some raw shrimp and a fish skeleton that some of the sashimi had been cut from.  The chef took our plate when we were done with fish, and fried the fish bones YUM and used the shrimp heads in some miso soup DOUBLEYUM.  I've seen some magical pictures on Instagram of uni shooters/shots.  Do I know what they are?  No.  Do I want them right meow?  Yes.





They've started a lunch service, which we noticed last time we were there to get Gu's.  It looks like a pretty standard bento box, from the menu we peeked at, but knowing this place, it's got to be something pretty special.  OH hey, did I mention they have alcoholic boba drinks?  This is the place to be, people.

I'll have to try out some of the other stands -- The Little Tart Bake Shop, Hop City (beer with my dumplings? Sounds like a terrific idea), Spotted Trotter Charcuterie (chicken liver pate, I'm coming for ya) -- but from most sources, I hear everything's pretty darn tasty.

So that's that.  I love this place.  So much that I'll go up against the limited parking.  Valet is my friend.

Also, don't forget, Buckhead Restaurant Week starts up this week!  There are tons of options and menus, but personally I think the Capital Grille is the best deal.  Get in your reservations while you can!

In case any sweet-tooths have been left out of the loop, Georgetown Cupcake opened.  Yes, they're pretty freaking good.  No, they have not stolen my stomach from Sprinkles -- my personal motto is why pick when you can have both?  But so, the big Buckhead cupcake battle begins...who's got your vote?

And lastly -- all my fellow Korean drama fans -- guess what's back!


Let's Eat 2! I'm ready for the Korean food cravings.  I've only watched two episodes, and already I want oyster feasts, raw squid, clam noodle soup....


No comments:

Post a Comment